Road rage is a term to describe a relatively modern phenomenon that takes place when driving on urban roads. It was coined by a local news station in Los Angeles after a number of shootings occurred on several freeways in the city.
Authorities make a clear distinction between road rage, which is a crime, and aggressive driving which is a traffic offense. Road rage occurs when drivers react angrily – sometimes violently – to acts by other drivers that upset them and cause them to lose control over themselves. Such violent acts can range from staring, verbally abusing, gesturing, aggressive tailgating and even physically assaulting or using the automobile as a weapon.
Experts believe that traffic on roads and highways is one of the main reasons why people succumb to road rage. In most cities of the world, the construction of new roads has not kept pace with the number of cars, causing drivers to feel cramped in their cars or lanes. Humans have a territorial nature which makes them react aggressively when they sense an invasion of their space.
There is hardly anyone who drives and has not been either a victim or a perpetrator of road rage. The following tips can help you remain calm and in control of your emotions while driving:
- Prioritize safety.
- Maintain a normal breathing rhythm.
- Don’t personalize the incident.
- Keep in mind that it is not your job to punish others for poor driving.
- Accept the fact that we all make mistakes.
- Don’t let another driver to spoil your mood and day.
- If you feel completely out of control, find a safe place to pull over, stop and refocus.
Follow these suggestions to avoid road rage situations:
- Don’t cut off other drivers.
- Don’t drive slowly in the fast lane.
- Don’t tailgate.
- Don’t stare at or make gestures to other drivers.
- Use your horn for emergencies only.
- Avoid eye contact with an angry driver.
- Give an angry driver plenty of space.
More than traffic or bad driving, road rage is a result of the loss of emotional control and left untreated, can cause serious problems. If you follow these little tips, you will be able to prevent big problems.